Saturday, October 8, 2016

October 10 on 10: Autumn in the Adirondacks


This month's 10 on 10 blog post was rather easy to put together because I just got back from a 5 day trip to my house in the Adirondacks. Kim Bajorek joined me for the trip and we stayed very busy but also had a lot of fun. 

When we first got there, I was a little worried that the colors were not at peak, but as we drove from the Albany airport north to Raquette Lake, the colors improved. The also improved as the days went by. 

The weather also ended up being pretty perfect for photographing. There was little sun, but the overcast days allowed us to photograph the whole day long. 



Kim had been there once before, three years ago. That time we mostly stayed around Raquette Lake, but time, we took a few trips a little further away, including one trip up to Lake Placid (in a round about way), which is 1.5 hours away. It took all day, though, since we stopped many spots along the way.

One of the stops was to an unnamed pond which had low clouds resting on the mountains and lots of fall colors.


We also made our way to a waterfall called Split Rock Falls, which I had never been to before:


As we were driving to get to Lake Placid, we passed by this famous barn that I have seen in many, many photographs before, but never had the chance to photograph myself. There were many other photographers there as well. This barn is abandoned and will not be restored. I think it will only have a few years left until it falls down, so I am glad I had the chance to get there at least once. I might go back again, though, now that I know exactly where it is and also know that it is an easy place to photograph because there is parking right nearby. 

I'll bet it would look great in the winter with snow in the background.


I also had fun with the reflections for abstracts . . .




. . . as well as more standard landscape shots:







The only thing missing was the foggy mornings that I am used to having up there both in the summer and the fall, but the last morning, I got my wish with a beautiful misty dawn:


I am hoping for another trip at the same time next year. All my 10 on 10 friends are invited :)

*******
  This blog post is part of the 10 on 10 blog circle. Please follow the circle starting with the talented portrait photographer Kristina Rust.


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! It's great being sent back there by way of your stunning images!!! Can't wait for the next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - this is really beautiful. I wanted so bad to join you this year, but it was impossible to get out of work to do the trip. I think I need to save some vacation for next year - thank you so much for the open invite <3 xoxoxo from Trini in Norway

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow these photos are gorgeous....each and every one. I've never been to the Adirondacks and would LOVE to join you next year. Your abstract photos look like paintings and the photo of the barn looks straight out of a magazine. SO glad you and Kim were able to make this trip together.

    ReplyDelete